Pepe Reina’s decision to sign a new six-year contract at Anfield is without doubt fantastic news.

Reina has been Liverpool’s best player all season long, and I genuinely dread to think what position we would be in if we’d not had the Spanish stopper in between the sticks.

Despite the turbulent season that the Reds have endured it’s great to see a professional footballer sign a new deal because of their love and affection for the club rather than their instinct for instant success.

Pepe more than anyone will be aware that without any incoming investment it’s unlikely Liverpool will be challenging for the Premier League or Champions League any time shortly. But Reina’s bond with the club, supporters and the city has meant the ‘keeper is eager to stay.

"I'm delighted to sign a new contract. It's probably the best news of my life that I'll be here for the next six years. Me and my family are really happy here.

"To play for Liverpool is very special. I've been here for five years and now I will be here for six more and it's very exciting.

"It's very important that my family love it here as well, as family life is just as important as my career.”

While forthcoming investment looks unlikely at the moment, Liverpool seem like they could certainly keep the foundations of a strong squad at Anfield next season with Fernando Torres and Javier Mascherano also voicing their requests to stay.

Surely the presence of such stars will mean Rafa Benitez could find it a lot easier to attract big names to the club in the summer, with or without the lure of Champions League football. The difficulty will be attaining the funds needed to purchase the top class players.